Time is fleeting, and there are only more than 10 days left in 2020. Looking back on life in 2020, it seems that viruses and worry are always the main theme of this year’s life. Every time come home from shopping malls, supermarkets, schools and grocery stores, we always worried about whether there is COVID-19 virus on our clothes, shoes, shopping bags, etc. In order to avoid frequent anxiety and worries, portable UVC disinfection lamps appear in our daily lives. Hereof, we will share with you everything about UVC disinfection lamps and the best portable UVC disinfection lamps in the market. I hope to provide some clues for those who are choosing disinfection lamps.
What is UVC Disinfection Lamp?UV is abbreviated from “Ultraviolet” in English. Ultraviolet rays are invisible lights, which is a section of electromagnetic radiation other than visible violet light. The wavelength is in the range of 10~400nm. It is usually divided into the following sections according to its different nature:
- UVA: 320~400nm, widely used in printing, sensing, lithography and medical area;
- UVB: 290~320nm, widely applied in medical area for curing;
- UVC: 200~280nm, widely used for sterilization and sensing.
There are three different types of UV light: UVA, UVB and UVC. Since Downes and Blunt discovered the disinfecting effects of shorter-wavelength sunlight in 1877, the sanitizing properties of ultraviolet light has been known by people for more than 140 years. Geisler proved that the UV radiation from sunlight and electric lamps was more effective in killing bacteria than longer wavelength radiation. He also noted that the lethal effects of longer wavelength radiation were amplified at increased intensities. After years of verification by scientists, only the short wavelength UVC light generates the necessary amount of energy to effectively kill the microorganisms such as bacteria, virus and etc.
How Does UVC Disinfection Lamp Kill Virus and Bacteria?The high energy emitted by the short-wavelength UVC disinfectant lamp can kill viruses, bacteria, mold and fungus by attacking the DNA and RNA of microbes. Exposure to the electromagnetic radiation (light) at certain UV wavelengths modifies the genetic material of microorganisms and destroys their ability to reproduce. The UV energy triggers the formation of specific thymine or cystosine dimers in DNA and uracil dimers in RNA, which causes the inactivation of microbes by causing mutations and/or cell death as well as failure to reproduce. Formation of thymine dimers in the DNA of bacteria and viruses prevents replication and ability to infect. Up to now, there are no evidences showing that the microbes have the ability to build an immunity to the ultraviolet radiation. This is the reason why UVC ultraviolet disinfection lights are widely used for medical disinfection applications.
Can UVC Disinfection Lamp Effectively Inactivate the COVID-19?Ever since the first official report of COVID-19 in December, 2019, the COVID-19 continues to threatening the safety of human lives all over the world. According to the statistics of Wikipedia, the number of COVID-19 deaths worldwide is more than 1.65 million and continues to increase, and the known number of cases reached 74.1 million. Actually, the real number could be much more than that due to various reasons. Facing the severe situation, the world is concentrated on finding ways to fight the coronavirus. As the UVC light is an useful selection for disinfection without any usage of chemicals, it has become the most trending tools in 2020.
UVC light has been effectively applied for decades to reduce the spread of bacteria and virus. According to the academic paper “Far-UVC light (222nm) efficiently and safely inactivates airborne human coronaviruses” shows, UVC radiation can inactivate the SARS-Coronavirus which is a different one to the SARS-CoV-2 virus. “UVC radiation may also be effective in destroying the SARS-CoV-2 virus (COVID-19)” reported by FDA in 2020.
Where Can We Use Ultraviolet Disinfection Lamps?There are various types of UVC ultraviolet disinfection lights such as portable UVC disinfection lamp, tabletop lamp, ceiling light and etc. The portable ultraviolet disinfection lamps come in a small sized wand shape that we can put it in the handbag and take it anywhere. In this article, we will focus on the portable ultraviolet disinfection lamps. Below are the great uses of portable UVC disinfection lights:
- Digital electronic items: such as: mobile phone, iPad, iPod, keyboard, laptop, remote control, headset, watch, elevator buttons and etc.
- Surface disinfection: kitchen, bathroom, baby room, laundry room, dining room, bedroom, hotel, care and other public places.
- Items which are difficult to clean up by wet wipes or spray: sofa, door handle, kids’ toys, book, school supplies, express packaging, light switch, cash, wallet, shoes, towel, pillow, toilet mat, pet area and so forth.
How to Choose the Best Ultraviolet Disinfection Lights from Countless Choices?
- Confirm the wavelength. When choosing UVC ultraviolet disinfection light, please make sure that you select the right wavelength. As we mentioned above, the wavelength of UVC light is within 200 to 280 nanometers. Thymine and uracil, the nucleic acids in DNA and RNA are susceptible to a particular wavelength range that peaks at 265 nanometers, so it means that the UVC ultraviolet disinfectant lights of 265nm are the most ideal ones for sanitizing.
- Ask the seller whether the light produces ozone? Some UVC disinfection lights produce ozone which is stinky and harmful to our health. The harm that ozone brings to the human body is the harm that destroys the immune function of the human body. Long-term exposure to ozone will cause central nervous system poisoning, dizziness and headache in mild cases, and fainting and death in severe cases of vision loss.
- Ask the seller whether the UVC disinfectant light contains mercury? It is an important question. Mercury damages to the central nervous system, digestive system and kidneys. In addition, mercury also has certain effects on the respiratory system, skin and eyes. Even low-level exposure can damage the nervous system and cause clinical symptoms such as paresthesia, mental retardation, and language disorders.
Five Best Ultraviolet Disinfection Lamps on the Market
1. ANCROWNANCROWN portable ultraviolet disinfection light is designed with 12 UVC chips and one-click scan. It is made of high-quality & eco-friendly ABS materials. It is one of the best ultraviolet disinfection lamps which have wide applications and high sterilization efficiency. We can take this UVC light anywhere and disinfect anytime with ease.
2. AWESAFEAWESAFE portable ultraviolet disinfectant lamp is manufactured with 20 UVC LED chips with 260 to 280nm wavelength. It is lightweight with a small size that can be easily stored in your backpack or handbag. It also has wide uses, suitable for sterilization of surface, digital products and etc. It can kill 99.9% bacteria or virus after using 1-3 minutes.
- It includes 2 rechargeable lithium battery batteries;
- 20 UVC LED chips, maximized radiation area;
- Specially designed with child lock;
- Automatically shut off when the UVC light flipping over during usage;
- Timer function: 1 minute, 3 minutes, 5 minutes;
- EPA approved.
- We need to quickly press power button for several times to set timer.
3. 59S59S is another one of the best UVC disinfectant lights on Amazon. It’s designed with 20pcs UVC LED chips with large irradiation area. Designed lightweight and foldable, 59S UVC disinfection lamp is of wavelength 260 – 280nm which can kill 99.9% bacteria, viruses and other microorganisms on the surface.
- Secure double-click start button;
- Safety lock design to prevent misuse by kids;
- Automatic turn-off function when flipping over;
- Built-in 2500mAh lithium-ion battery;
- Foldable design;
- FDA-approved, CE, FC, ROHS, GT, SGS.
- Safety goggles are provided.
- The price is higher than other ones.
- There is no charging plug in the packing list that users need to find a compatible charging plug.
4. Feeke UVFeeke UV ultraviolet disinfection lamp is another exquisite choice with nice touch feel, made of high-quality ABS material and 12 LED light beads. The wavelength of this UVC light is 240-280 nanometer. It’s also compact, easy to use and easy to carry anywhere such as during travel or outdoor activity.
5. JNKThe JNK UVC ultraviolet disinfection light is designed with a handheld stick shape, compact and lightweight. It also can be used for sterilize almost all objects such as surfaces, digital products and public places. Its wavelength is about 253.7nm. This UVC disinfectant light is powered y 4 AA batteries with sterilization efficiency up to 99%.
VII. What Should Pay Attention to When Using Ultraviolet Disinfection Lamps?
As you know, the ultraviolet radiation is harmful to skin that includes skin lesions, besides, ultraviolet rays can damage the cornea. Additionally, the ultraviolet rays will stimulate the air to produce ozone, and inhalation will cause lung damage.
Therefore, please do not look at the light when the ultraviolet sterilizer is working, do not use it to irradiate people, animals or plants, and please do not use it over a highly reflective surface such as mirror when you are carrying a portable UVC ultraviolet light at hand. It is better to use the above portable UVC disinfecting lights in a well-ventilated area.